Friday, May 15, 2009

Think Before you Tweet

So you ventured into Twitter, what next? Before you start tweeting, it is important to think carefully about how to present yourself in this very public timeline. I recently viewed a series of tweets that looked something like this:
  • so pissed off ....and it's only 8:30am.
  • head hurts.
  • is so bored at work.
  • just got out of the most dull meeting in the world.
  • finished my lunch, back to work.
  • checking out what's up in facebook.
  • get me out of here, 30 minutes until work is over.
My first reaction to this series of tweets was "WOW --- what a downer!" I know we all have our days when we wake up on the wrong side of the bed, but Twitter is not the venue to vent about every frustrating experience, especially if you are a potential job candidate.
In Avelyn Austin's blogpost entitled How to Google Bomb Yourself, she advises Twitter users to "Twitter Tastefully" by ensuring that tweets are employer appropriate. Whether you are on the job market or not, ask yourself two important questions before you tweet:
  1. Do I want my employer, or a potential employer, to read my tweet?
  2. Is my tweet a result of a highly negative emotion (you might regret it)?
Twitter asks "What are you doing?" in the dialog box, but avoid using that opportunity to complain. Instead of a constant stream of negativity, aim for tweets that are relevant, engaging, original, and uplifting. You are more likely to gain a stream of like-minded followers and you are more likely to land a job when you think before you tweet.

3 comments:

  1. too true! you have to be very careful with twitter and even social networks. I always try to think twice, three times, and again and again before I tweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that people would take this time out of their day to write that on Twitter...sounds like they need a new life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Equally important is the decision for a company to create a Twitter account. As we've seen it's crucial for a company to respond almost instantaneously to any negative remarks regarding their brand, organization, etc. It almost requires someone to manage it as a full time job. For example, I know Ted's advertises with Myspace and Facebook- they even have a Facebook page but we've discussed entering the world of Twitter and have shyed away from it because of what I just mentioned. Just some food for thought...

    ReplyDelete