Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Helping Marketing Students Market Themselves

I have been thinking about creating a blog for several months. My biggest obstacle has been trying to determine the exact target audience and focus of the blog based upon my skills, interests, and ideas. Should I write for my students, academic colleagues, marketing practitioners, friends, or the online community as a whole? Should I write about marketing, education, research, or something personal that I enjoy such as poetry, performing arts, and wine. It seems my mind can not come to a conclusive answer so I am just going to start writing a few posts and see where everything leads to naturally.

Today I was inspired to get my blog started after reading Janet Miller's blog post entitled "To May 2009 College Grads: How to Land a Search Marketing Job." I agreed with each of her suggestions as I too witness students making mistakes when they communicate with prospective employers. What surprises me most is the reluctance that marketing students have when pitching themselves in the marketplace. What can I do? I need to help my students understand that the most important marketing job they will ever do is marketing themselves. Perhaps a Me in 30 Seconds Exercise is warranted for my next crop of students. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new blog! Marketing yourself appropriately is a great skill to have. Found a job applicant today who has taken to posting "please call me!" messages on the potential employer's Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn page. Yikes! The behavioral interview was really popular during my job search last year. I don't know how I would have answered some of the questions if I had been asked right out of college! Knowing how to pitch yourself with limited job experience would be very helpful for a new grad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that you started a blog! Perhaps you could incorporate this into one of your classes...I remember in one or your classes, it may have been Integrated Marketing Communications, there was an exercise where we had to take our name, come up with a catchy/clever way to present it and get up in front of the class. What if you also asked students to incorporate a 30-second sales pitch of themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found an interesting article called "How to Perfect an Elevator Pitch About Yourself". It discusses 5 great tips for making those important 15 seconds count.

    http://blogs.harvardbusiness.org/dowling/2009/05/how-to-perfect-an-elevator-pit.html

    ReplyDelete